Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Culture / Heritage / Theux / SS Hermegrave's and Alexandre church
Document Actions

SS Hermegrave's and Alexandre church

 

    
This exceptional building, whose nave has stood for nearly one thousand years, is a hall church, that is to say a Romanesque church with three naves of equal height, which is very rare.
th-souligne-g.png
 
 

 St_Hermès.jpg

The tower, which looks like a keep with arrow slits and is surmounted with wall walks, makes it a fortified church. Another special feature is that the flat ceiling of the nave is made up of 127 painted wooden panels made in 1630. The painted wooden choir ceiling was installed in 1698. The building was totally restored between 1977 and 1982 after having been excavated. This made it possible to reconstruct the life of four previous buildings built during the first millennium, including a chapel of the royal Merovingian domain of Theux.