Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Tourism / Our villages / Desnié
Document Actions

Desnié

eglise desnie2.jpg

 

A pretty village in the foothills of the municipality, Desnié has a small chapel, established on 15 December 1946 as a result of the (answered) prayers of the villagers, saved by the Von Runsted offensive. The village is spread out along the hillside leading to Bronromme, the third highest point of Belgium, and is gradually becoming more densely inhabited. New buildings are being fitted in between the old ones, and along the Spa-Stoumont road, but also along the farm tracks leading to Vieux Pasay and Vertbuisson. The village is now mainly residential.

 

The parish church of the Immaculée Conception and St Lambert is next to the presbytery and the old school. In the past, it was known as "the tram".
The cemetery is worth a detour, for the "Trasenster pavilion" amongst other things. This tomb for the family of Gustave Trasenster, the head of the Ougrée-Marihaye metalworking firm, is an exact reproduction of the pavilion of Queen Jeanne, which he discovered at Les Baux de Provence. There are also Commonwealth graves of five British soldiers who died of gas poisoning at Fagne Marron in December 1918. The caves opening at street level, through a simple door, onto the presbytery lane are also worthy of note.

 

desnie2.jpg

 

Finally, the Papet cross serves as a marker showing the boundary of Desnié parish. Papet, a poor man living in a hut, served as courier for the local villages. When he was found dead by the people he had served, they had a cross erected in memory of the brave man.