Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Tourism / Our villages / Hamlets and localities / La Bouxherie

La Bouxherie

La Bouxherie
 
This locality, on the banks of the Hoëgne, is occupied by two houses attached to an old forge and is a reminder of the metalworking carried out here from the 15th to the 18th centuries.
For most writers, the verb "bouhî" in Walloon means "to strike", hence the place where one strikes. On the other hand, according to J. Haust's etymology and the most likely according to historian P. Den Dooven, "bouhis" means "group of bushes", thus this uncultivated place saw the construction of the industrial establishment bearing this name at the end of the 15th century.
In February 1498, a deed founding La Bouxherie stipulated that the establishment started work immediately and took the name of its owner, Pirot Boniver.
In 1550, La Bouxherie had two forges: the big one and the little one, and Lambert Boniver had a "new" house built. The 17th century saw the family flourish with his five sons, especially Jean Boniver who rebuilt the forges, one in 1662 and the other in 1676. The Boniver family is a very old and very important Theux family of forgemasters. It provided Theux with eleven mayors. In the shade of a centuries-old tree, the forgemasters' home is made of Franchimont sandstone rubble and limestone in the Mosan style, and is the jewel of the Theux heritage. Admire the cornice decorated with corbels in the shape of acorns, the studded door, the entrance steps lined with a lateral support stone, the skylights, the chimneys, the arrangement of the mullion windows, but especially the harmonious whole in Mosan Renaissance style.