Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Tourism / Our villages / Hamlets and localities / Le Rocheux
Document Actions

Le Rocheux

Rocheux arrière 1.jpg

 

Le Cazer is made up of a set of small houses forming a sort of mining village from the first quarter of the 20th century. These half-timbered plastered-brick houses were built for workers at the Le Rocheux mines. The houses are terraced and have cob walls. They are back-to-back houses and have an upper floor, as each house was used for two families: each family had two rooms measuring five metres by five, one to live in with an open fire, and the other to sleep in. The old Le Rocheux mine site is now a nature reserve covering 500 hectares. There used to be a mine which was at its peak from 1859 to 1880, employing up to 450 workers. Clinker and ore waste have accumulated on this exceptional site and this has led to the development of special and rare flora and fauna. In 1949, the le Rocheux calamine waste heaps were listed as Walloon heritage.

 

Pensée calaminaire.jpg