Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Tourism / Our villages / Juslenville

Juslenville

Juslenville.jpg

Juslenville and its western district

Juslenville and its western district, downstream from Theux: "Ad’là l’êwe". Translated as: "Beyond the water". Less than 200 years ago, Juslenville was just a cluster of houses grouped at the place currently known as "Juslenville-Petite". There were two or three houses at the place called: "è coff" as well as near the current school, but the cradle of the whole village, which was the first Juslenville, is located "a d'là l'èwe". The origin of this cradle dates back to the first century A.D. The Romans settled here when the region was pacified after Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul. The houses grouped near the estate owner's house were called a "villa". This owner, who had probably chosen to reside on the Pouillou-Fourneau road (where traces of Roman habitation have in fact been found), was probably called Julien, which used to be written Julin or Juslin. In Walloon, do they not say "Juslin Veye"? The Roman origin is unquestionable as it was about one hundred years after the death of Ambiorix (or rather after his disappearance) that colonists mined our mineral resources, that is to say towards 50 A.D. The population of Juslenville was certainly larger at that time than that of Theux, since it had a Baths at the centre of the thermal springs.


Ritw1.JPGRitw2.JPG

Rue Charles Rittwéger

Do you know that Charles Rittwéger, born in Verviers in 1827, founded the parish, church and presbytery of Juslenville? This street was a prosperous commercial area at the beginning of the 20th century with groceries, bakers', butchers', carpenters' shops, textile shops, dressmakers, etc. alongside each other. The front of no. 91 is of great architectural interest. It dates from the early 17th century; it is half-timbered, with a corbelled first floor held up by wooden joists.


Chapelle_Fyon.jpg

The Fyon Chapel

Perched on a rock overlooking the railway, it was built in 1821 in a neo-Gothic style for Mr Fyon, the owner of Juslenville Château. Indeed, in the 19th century, all the land between Forges-Thiry and the entrance to Juslenville belonged to him and included a château and outbuildings. This chapel, made of limestone rubble, has not retained any of its furniture or glazing, some elements of which might have come from stained-glass windows from the side chapels of St Lambert's Cathedral in Liège. It has become a Walloon heritage property.

 

 


égliseL’ancien Pont Rittweger sur la Hoegne.JPGThe Church

Old Rittwéger bridge on Hoëgne