Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
Document Actions
You are here: Home / LEISURES / Culture / Heritage / Polleur / Polleur

Polleur

In Polleur's main street is the "L'Autre Rive" theatre which originally was a private house built in the second half of the 18th century. It was converted into a little theatre at the beginning of the 20th century but abandoned for several years before again becoming a performance venue in 2002. On the main road between Jehanster and Liège is the statue of the Congress of Polleur which commemorates the meeting held by representatives from the various districts of the region in 1789 in order to re-establish the freedoms and tax exemptions of the Franchimont region. After several days of meetings, the congress adopted the text of a "Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen" inspired by the declaration made at the French National Assembly a short time before and punctuated with local emphases. The Polleur Congress was to play a not insignificant role in the Liège revolution. In Le Moulin district and Ewéréville hamlet (the latter meaning "lost village" as it was the most remote of Jehanster's four hamlets), on the other side of the main road, the fief of the Free Republic of Le Moulin was established. In earlier times, set back from this hamlet, there was a mill which was originally for the district (or "ban"). Neufmarteau hamlet reminds us of the metalworking past of Jalhay and Theux municipalities. In effect, forges flourished more or less along the entire length of the Hoëgne. At Polleur, on 1 May, the village welcomes many second-hand goods dealers for its great annual second-hand fair..

 

    

The old bridge

 
 

th-souligne-g.png

 

Pont de Polleur

It was at the place where the old Roman road from Trèves to Tongues crossed the Hoëgne. The year 1767 is carved on the parapet of the bridge. You will notice a cast iron figure of Christ opposite a pretty Virgin with Child inaugurated in 1996. This monument is listed and was restored between 1978 and 1980.

 
     

 

 

    

The church

Dedicated to St Jacques and Notre-Dame, first mentioned in 1391, repaired in 1450, transformed in 1591 and 1902, it is the most endearing of the remains of Polleur's past.

 
 

th-souligne-g.png

Clocher Tors

The twisted spire of Notre-Dame and St Jacques' church

The spire, usually dated from the late 16th or early 17th century, is a composite spire. The lower part is an octagonal and twisted pyramid shaft, connected to the tower below by inclined planes. The upper part is a regular octagonal pyramid widening out towards the bottom to connect to the lower part. The twisting of the lower part is such that the angular displacement of the top of a groin compared to the bottom is estimated at 45°.
Even if legend states that the "twisted" form of the tower is due to the devil kicking it when it was built, there is no truth in it. Unlike other irregular spires in the region (Awans, Jalhay, Goé, Herve and Baelen), the shape is not the result of deformations or twisting of the wood over time. The frame of the Polleur bell tower shows a deliberate intention to make a bell tower with a clockwise twist (from right to left) since the sections of the frame form triangles, a shape which is indeformable by nature.
This twisted shape which offers less hold to the wind could be the solution found by the builders to increase resistance in a storm.